Saturday 28 April 2012

OAFT......that is all

I've neglected the blog recently, not because I can't be bothered but because both Emily and I have had our hands full with MESi Radio. So here I am again, going to tell you who I think are worth watching. At the MESi Radio Launch we had a whole host of acts and a good friend of mine Johnny Graham kicked the day off with a good wee set. He was rough as a badgers arse, but quite frankly pulled it off. He has that ability to just connect with a crowd, and his interaction even though it comes across as "an arrogant wee shit" is what make Johnny Grahams set worth watching.

Up next was Baby Taylor, many times I've saw Baby Taylor and she never fails to disappoint. Apart from a couple of small slips up with the guitar her set was perfect, but to be honest, when you listen to Baby Taylor it's her voice that captivates you and not her guitar skills.

Following her was Kenneth Bowman. There's something about Kenneth that just makes you sit up and watch. It's clear that he doesn't play music for fame, or to be noticed, he plays it because he loves music, when you see someone like that it's a great feeling. His songwriting is exceptional and his vocals match it perfectly. If there's one bit of advice I could give to Kenneth it's get more confidence out when you're performing.

Next up is the first OAFT of the show..........Dougie Greig, even now almost two weeks later I'm sitting listening to his set from that day and it still sends a shiver up my spine. Dougie is from a band called Roadway (check them out www.roadwaymusic.com) and his talents are second to none. I can't even put down in words how exceptional he is, and added to that the fact that he uses a loop pedal on his vocals...it just blows you away.

Allan Trotter soon followed, a dear friend of mine and a blues player like no other. Allan always puts on a tremendous show, I've never been disappointed in his music. Today however something was missing, I don't know whether it was the uncomfortableness of being out in daylight or just that maybe I didn't have time to properly enjoy his set. He still played a blinder and put on amazing set.

Wee Kris...........Wee Kris? Wee Kris is 9! 9 years old and plays like he's 20....you have to see him to be fully aware of how good he is. Although, I've got one piece of advice for Wee Kris.........stop being late!

I'll review the bands of the day at a later date, I've got so much to say about them but so little time.
We have copies of all of the sets from that day, so they will be repeated throughout the course of time on www.mesi-radio.co.uk

Anyway I better get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment