Monday 19 March 2012

Johnny Graham – Love is Blind



I debated with myself whether or not to review Johnny's album, but I decided that I should. He's one of my good friends, and has given me some great advice over the last few months, and been one of my “go to people” whenever I need something. He also has a tendency to lead me into debauchery but that's another blog. My deciding factor about reviewing it was thinking back to how hard he's worked to get the album out, and the stress levels that he gained. Looking back on countless conversations, I thought at one point he was going to start shooting people, including photographers, and the cd printers.
Love is Blind as he puts it, is about “Love and Death in a cheery manner” it gives you a little chuckle just thinking about death in a cheery manner, but that's just his mentality.
There's so many stand out tracks on the album, it's hard to pick a favourite, but I'm going to start with one of my favourites “Where I Belong” it's a song that just oozes talent. When it starts, you're instantly drawn into it, it's got the feeling that (as corny as it sounds) listening to this song is where you belong, right here, right now. Is the song about love or death, that's for you to decided, personally I think it's about being in The Burns on a Sunday night.
Another song, is probably his best known song “Candlewax” I've heard this song countless times, including both live and recorded, it was probably my most played song when I worked on KA Radio. The opening line “Stop what you're doing I'm not going to take you back” resonates so strongly in so many peoples mind, you're instantly taken back to that time when someone keeps harassing you to give them another chance, and the next line just clears it up so well “You're love's like a candle, a candle that's ran out of wax” it's spot on. Musically and Lyrically it's such a strong song, you can't help listening to it over and over again, even when you're not listening, you can't help singing “Whoa oh whoa oh whoa oh” to yourself.
The last song I'm going to go into is “Crimson Red” or as myself and Emily call it “Red Red” Johnny, isn't Crimson just another name for Red? I've asked him this before, but I never get an answer. It's a song that you don't expect the full band to kick in when it does, it changes tempo so quickly yet so seamlessly, with the words “You fell out from the sky, just to say you're alright” it's possibly one of the catchiest songs I've heard in a long long time. “Crimson Red” in my opinion is one of the most lyrically sound songs on the entire album.
The whole album from the Intro (Violins Bled I) through to the outro (Violins Bled II) is just astounding. For a guy who a mere two years ago wasn't on the “scene” as a solo performer, to bring out a full album as strong and musically appealing is amazing . I remember a few months ago being with Johnny one night and him asking the question to some guy “Do you know who I am? I'm Johnny G” yet the thing is, I don't see it being very long at all before everyone does know who he is. When that day comes it will be well deserved, and I'll be there, with all the “Ah ah ah ah's” and “whoa oh whoa oh whoa ohs” that I can manage. I urge everyone to go to The Burns in Irvine on a Sunday night for Johnny's open mic night, go and see him for free, before you're having to pay  20-30 quid to see him playing. It will happen one day, and aslong as I get free tickets for being his mate, then I'll be very happy for him.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment