Thursday 22 March 2012

Setting the Standard

I'm not going to lie, I get annoyed at myself sometimes, I'll not listen to certain bands or go and see some bands just because I don't think they'd interest me. Then I accidentally hear them, or I see them somewhere and think to myself "why the hell did I not listen to them sooner"
This could be said for what's just happened with me with The Standards. I'd never properly listened to them and I'd never made an effort to go and see them live, then the other day after I put up a blog Tommy sent me their E.P over and so I knew then that I'd have to listen.
Now I'm going to pride myself on being honest at all times when I blog about bands and acts, and so hears my honest opinion on The Standards..........Amazing.

The Barely Legal EP just blew me away.

First song I listened to was "Come on Now" it's a song that could get stuck in your head for days. The timings are just perfection and the whole band just comes together nicely. There's no "this could be done better" feeling in my opinion and you can tell just from listening to that one track that it's not just music thrown together because some guys decided to start a band.

The next song I listened to was "It don't matter" and I'm sorry to say it but again it's just so damn good. I don't know The Standards, but I want to. "It Don't Matter" is a song that you know when you hear it, it will instantly register that The Standards are a band to be reckoned with.

"Blu Today" and "Butcher Girl" are another two great tracks on a sublime EP. It's hard for me to sit here and pick out a favourite track, because it's so hard to decide on what one to choose. So I'm not going to pick a track, what I'm going to do is urge you to go and listen to the EP, go and see these guys live. You will not be disappointed at all, and while you do that I'm going to go and bang my head off a wall and shout at myself for not giving these guys a chance sooner.

The Standards EP can be heard at http://soundcloud.com/the-scottish-standards

No comments:

Post a Comment