Sunday 25 March 2012

Like the best "he's" fearless



Every Saturday night, I run a wee music night in Garfield's in Ardrossan and every week I have a special guest with me. This week I had the very very talented Scott Nicol, a man who has that rare talent of being both a performer and a musician, he can get any crowd (whether it be 2 people or 200 people) singing along and moving their feet. Tonight was no exception. 

Garfield's isn't the biggest venue in the world, in fact it's a Ta-pas Bar so you can imagine it's fairly small. Small however doesn't mean bad, it's intimate, and a great place to both play and watch performers. In the last couple of years I've played alongside Scott and watched put on a great show, so when I got the position of booking acts for Garfield's he was one of my first choices, and I'm so glad that he agreed to come along.
He started the night off with a great song, which had people starting to tap their feet, always a great way to begin a show. From the off, he had the crowd fixed on his every move and lyric. His second song was "Wildfire" is a song which I'm not too familiar with, but I loved it, every chord hit and every vocal that left his mouth was pitch perfect and filled with such passion. Clearly a guy who loves music, loves to perform and loves to do what he does. After Wildfire came one of my favourite Scott Nicol tracks "Swimming in the waters of civilisation" I love it, every time I've saw it performed live I've absolutely loved it, the Chorus is just those words from the title and it's so catchy and easy to sing along, it's a song that fills the room with enthusiasm, not mainly because Scott is a guy who oozes enthusiasm. He finished his first set (yes he played more than one set, what a star) with other songs such as "Like the best she's fearless" "Live like a lion" "Christina's View" (a song about a painting in New York inspired by a French artist) he even threw in a cheeky wee cover of Jessie J's "Price Tag" which was absolutely astounding.
After I got up and played a few tracks, Scott returned to the floor. This time to play requests from his many fans in the room (myself included) songs included "Welcome to Dreamland" and my favourite Scott Nicol song "Paradise" Scott did ask me if I wanted to sing the second verse of "Paradise" but I politely refused, mainly because I don't think I could do the song justice and secondly because I love the song that much that I just wanted to sit back and relax and enjoy it. 
Scott Nicol in my eyes is one of the best musicians around Ayrshire if not Scotland, and yet I sometimes feel that he's so underrated. I think that's due to his modesty mainly, but someone needs to stand up and say "THIS IS SCOTT NICOL, START LISTENING" 
If there's one man in Ayrshire who has the biggest passion for what he does, then it's Scott. You can tell that just from watching him, being in his presence and listening to his tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment