Monday 21 May 2012

The Detours

There's always a band who catch your attention, but the problem with music is that after a while you get fed up of the same sound over and over again. It's natural that you get bored listening to the same songs and watching the same videos.

Almost two months ago I witnessed The Detours for the first time, if you recall my blog and review from back then I was annoyed at myself for not seeing or hearing them before hand.

So two months later, I've been listening to the same three tracks on their E.P over and over again, and I've been watching their videos on YouTube over and over again. The question is.....am I bored? am I fed up? The answer is............HELL NO!!

If anything my love of The Detours has grown.

Personally I don't think I could ever get bored or fed up with The Detours, it's their energy that captured me at first and then you combine that with lyrical perfection, outstanding time signatures, genius bass lines, quality guitar riffs and vocals that blow you away. When put all those together you get a cocktail that if it were actually a drink you would be paying an arm and a leg to get it. Maybe someone should create a cocktail and name it "The Detours" cause I'm sure a hell of a lot of people would pay for it.

The five piece from Glasgow are without a doubt the best band on the circuit at the moment and deserve any success that comes their way. Anyone who came along to the MESi Radio launch night will be able to vouch for that, that night I witnessed old men bouncing around like teenagers, I saw people who looked depressed suddenly look like they had just won the lottery. The name on everyone's lips in Ayrshire for weeks was "The Detours" and quite rightly so.

They can capture anyone's attention, whether you like alternative music or prefer to sit in your bedroom listening to Roy Chubby Browns "Who the fuck is Alice" this band make you realise what music is about. It's about passion, it's about entertainment it's about giving people something they love. It frustrates me seeing a band that good being confined to the local circuit. I want them to be out there, touring Europe, hitting up the USA and making millions. I want to switch on my TV in the morning and see those 5 guys sitting talking to Holly and Phillip on This Morning.. I want to see them getting places because quite frankly I don't think anyone has more potential than this band.

I get jealous of them, because for years I tried to get a band together that sounded good, and seeing these guys I see my dream in front of me. Emily was watching Band Slam or something yesterday and the band were performing "I want you to want me" and both of us turned round and said "I can't listen to anyone else cover that other than The Detours" and it's true.

If The Detours don't make it big, then I will personally come and be a servant to everyone who reads this blog (you need to leave a comment down the bottom for me to know who you are ya diddy)

So what do I say now? All I can say is, if you haven't heard them then go and check them the hell out! Don't sit and read this and say to yourself that you'll check it out later, because chances are you'll forget, do it NOW! Spend 3/4 minutes listening to one song, and I guarantee you will never look back. Infact I'll even help you out by attaching a wee video down the bottom of this!

Until next time..................


2 comments:

  1. Huge fan and agree totally saw them at hard rock in edinburgh sang there original tracks and some covers like they owned them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, there's no doubt that they're going to be huge. I've never witnessed a band like them

    ReplyDelete