Saturday 26 May 2012

Eurovision - Good or Bad

For the past 56 years there has been Eurovision, just looking at the name alone you think "Vision, a vision of music bringing together coutries" is that the case though? Is it really a vision, or a Euro-wide Xfactor?

I remember when I was a lad ( I like using that phrase, deal with it) sitting one night a year with my family and watching Eurovision, in all honesty it was one of the only things we done together as a family and maybe that's why I hate Eurovision so much. Musicians from all over would take the stage and perform, some good and some bad, but mostly it was entertaining. I don't remember as far back as "ABBA" and quite frankly I'd glady punch each of them in the face for giving us "Dancing Queen" but I've heard the stories about how good Eurovision used to be.

Now it's a showcase for autotuned, talentless, hopeless wannabes, getting on television in the hope of making a name for themselves. I'm 100% sure that if you asked any of the entrants why they do it, they'll turn round and say "I'm proud to represent my country" which roughly translates as "I could get a record deal and make a shit load of money"

This years UK entrant has to be my favourite ever......We have so much talent around Britain, so many great musicians and songwriters, so it must have been such a difficult decision to choose someone. When it gets that tough, who do we pick? Engelbert Fucking Humperdinck! Surely we deserve points on his name alone?

I haven't watched eurovision in years, and I have to say that I don't plan to again. I can honestly say that I would much rather be out at King Tuts or even just a wee pub with one man and a guitar. I say next year we start a campaign to get real musicians to represent the UK. I'll even write the damn song if I have to. I have no doubt that Ireland next year will send in Jed (look at us, we like attention so much that we merged our names together, and our mum didn't mean to give birth to us, she just needed an exceptionally large jobby) ward

If next year someone tells me that a great band or singer/songwriter is on Eurovision, then I'll tune in but if not you can be sure that I'll be found with a beer and a real band.

No comments:

Post a Comment