Tuesday 22 May 2012

Music doesn't lie

Sometimes I can be biased, I always say how Scottish Musicians are the best and sometimes maybe that's true, but sometimes I overlook those from different places. Granted this musician was born in Gibralter and lived in Scotland until he was 7 then spent most of his life down south, in a little place called Telford before moving back to Scotland.

I first met Logan La La Lies about 7 months ago in my old haunt "The Burns" in Irvine. Sunday nights are open mic nights, and I remember seeing this skinny little man looking like he had just walked out of a Top Man photo shoot stand up with a tiny guitar that looked like he had just picked it up out a skip. I can sometimes be too judgemental and in that instant I thought he was going to be god awful. I was proven wrong about 40 seconds later when he opened his mouth.

Logan La La Lies is one of the most talented and passionate musicians I've ever had the privilege to meet. His enthusiasm for the art is matched only by his song-writing talent, showcasing songs such as T-E-L-F-O-R-D and Hope. Logan has the ability to entertain aswell as perform the perfect set with such ease and grace.

If we listen to his lyrics you can instantly tell this this guy has a bucket load of life experience and uses it to his musical advantage. Take "T-E-L-F-O-R-D"  a song written about the town he grew up in, you realise that to Logan that town was more than just a town, it was a home and a place where he has many fond memories.

"Hope" is a song about a girl (I know what you're thinking, but no it's not cheesy or typical acoustic songwriting) and moving on but with that tinge of ache at seeing someone else being with the person you love.

The thing about Logans music is that no matter who you are or where in the world you are, you can relate to it. You feel the music, you feel the lyrics and there's not many musicians who can get a story across in 3 minutes but Logan does it perfectly.

Both as a recorded artist and a live artist, Logan draws you in with his vocal ability and his guitar playing. It's one of those moments in life where you can see someone who loves music put it into action. I remember at Johnny Grahams Album Launch I spoke to Logan after we had both played our sets and he said to me "Martin, I was shit but I don't care I just love music" the thing is he was far from shit. He was one of my favourite acts from the night, infact any line up that Logan is on he's guaranteed to be one of my favourite acts. I truly love his music, I love his passion, I love his talent and above all I love the way he portrays himself.


There's not alot of bad points I could pick out about him, infact all I can think of is that he doesn't have a full studio released album out. That is something I want to hear, it's something I need to hear. I want to be able to listen to studio versions of each of his songs whenever I feel like it.

Logan La La Lies is a talent that deserves recognition, he deserves a push towards big things and hopefully one day he'll get it. For the moment though his music has me "Under the thumb"


No comments:

Post a Comment