Monday 21 May 2012

It's not an Illusion

You know when MESi Radio started, I did have my doubts about what guff we would get sent to play. We've been lucky enough not to have had any awful tracks, infact most of them have been superb.

One of the first bands to get in touch was "Twisted Illusion" a name that made me think for a good few days about where it came from. To be honest, to this day I still have no idea, but that's what makes me like it. There's an air of mystery about these guys, they sent tracks and then they seemed to disappear. Then last week I saw they had a new video and that's when I was captured.

They don't have the sound you would expect, it's got that psychedelia feel to it, but it works. Not many bands can pull a sound like that off, but they do.

I sat down, with the headphones on as I often do, and watched the video for "Powerful and Cunning" and it hit me, who they reminded me of. It just came to me in a wave of realisation that made me sit up and pay even more attention to these guys.

Back in the day (yes I realise I'm getting old, and so I am allowed to use that phrase) I was obsessed with a band called "Million Dead" a band who I never ever got to see perform live and I hate myself to this day for that. Twisted Illusions video for "Powerful and Cunning" reminded me so much of that, in both the way it was shot and the song itself. Million Dead were one of my favourite bands around and if Twisted Illusion keep going the way they are, I can see them climbing up my top 20 list (that list will never be revealed due to me being a bam)

Powerful and Cunning is a video that as soon as you watch it your first thoughts are "What the hell is this" and to be honest if you watched it on mute, you would think that you were watching the intro to a cheesy horror from the 80's.......BUT.........that's not a bad thing. Look at the way it's shot, look at the angles, the lens motion, the whole thing comes together beautifully and to be quite honest I love it. It's one backward masked wonder walking through the countryside, with not a care in the world, and my guess is that under that hood he's listening to the track itself, which is great. You get the feel that the video fits the music and vice versa. Twisted Illusion are a slowed down version of Million Dead, and if they sped up their music they would be on to a proper winner.

I want you to see what I'm talking about

So I've posted both videos below for you to compare.

Twisted Dead or Million Illusion?

No?

Yeah you're right, lets leave them to their own name

Twisted Illusion

 I want these guys to push themselves and get to the stage where I'll kick myself if I don't see them live. I want them to turn into my new dirty secret.

Because you know what, they have the potential, they have the talent, they just need to get the music up one tiny notch, and I'm not saying that as a criticism, I'm saying that because I know they have the talent to go far, and I'll be frustrated if they don't!

Twisted Illusion - Powerful and Cunning

Million Dead - Living The Dream

No comments:

Post a Comment